[C320-list] Another White Smoke from Perkins M30 Question

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Mon Jan 22 13:45:53 PST 2024

I agree that it sounds more like a head gasket than a cracked block (although either is possible).  A compression test would probably tell.  But either way, I'd get it looked at ASAP, before the having the engine oil diluted with coolant leads to much more expensive engine damage.

The listing for a 1995 320 in SW Florida, mentioned this weekend by Michael Ballard, says that boat has a Beta 30 engine installed in 2022.  Maybe he would be willing to share cost information for the conversion?  I'd be curious myself, as I labor to keep my 29-year-old M30 going.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA