[C320-list] Another White Smoke from Perkins M30 Question

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 22 13:29:46 PST 2024

If I were you, I think my first move would be to find a good mechanic and pay a couple of hundred dollars for a good assessment on the engine. Rebuilding a good engine is always much cheaper than going new.

With new diesels, the big issue is whether you’re willing to go with one that has a computer board. They run more efficiently, but you’re SOL if something on the board goes. No chance of doing a backyard fix when you’re out cruising.

I believe Beta Marine still sells new diesels without the computer board.

Also, check on the prices of replacement parts before you pick a brand. Parts for the ancient Volvos were staggeringly expensive. I don’t know whether that’s still the case. Yanmar is a little better, but a 55-amp alternator you can buy for $110 on the Internet goes for $900 or so with a Yanmar sticker.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.