[C320-list] Trouble starting Yanmar 3GM

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Sun Jul 7 16:47:33 PDT 2024

Hi Louis:

Just don't ignore it for too long. Small problems can develop into big ones when you neglect them.

It sounds like you might be new to diesels. Don't get too intimidated about doing your own repairs. Everything I described can be done with a screwdriver and a wrench, with a hand drill for mounting a new Racor filter. The trickiest part is bleeding air from the line, which is not really tricky on a Yanmar.

A good way to prepare yourself is to buy Nigel Calder's book on diesel engines.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.