[C320-list] Folding prop

bruceheyman bruceheyman at cox.net
Fri Jul 12 12:18:14 PDT 2024

 HI Steve,We used to have a three blade Autoprop on the boat and absolutely love the performance under sail and motor sailing!  Was really excellent in reverse as well.However, it did have some cons such as if you picked up some kelp on one of the blades it sounded like you dropped into World War III.   We also had some blade galvanic corrosion issues as the electrical connection to the hub is not excellent.  Lastly, it is very heavy and needs to be pretty far out on the propshaft to give adequate clearance to the strut.  Even then we did have to relieve some of the trailing edge of the strut to insure clearance to the blades in all scenarios.  The final straw for the retirement of the Autoprop was during the last haulout we found that the strut had a stress/fatigue crack on one side where it exited the hull.  We no have the original two blade sailor prop back on her.BruceSomerset, San Pedro, #671