[C320-list] Mid ship cleats

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jun 14 07:36:21 PDT 2024

I have a design for adding a mid ship cleat along the toe rail but didn't get it fabricated yet.If you look at the bases for the lifeline stanchions, they are attached through the deck and angle up over the fiberglass toe rail. That lets water run off behind.What I came up with was a longer (wider) version of that using slightly thicker stainless plate.  I was going to tap the plate, bolt on a properly sized stainless cleat that matched the others.  I'd tack weld the bolts on the underside and grind them off flush on the underside. That would give you a nice midship cleat that wouldn't damage or stress the fiberglass toe rail. It would be thru-bolted to the deck with backing washers.  If the plate were sized correctly, the lines wouldn't chafe on the fiberglass, but rather pass over the polished stainless.The shape isn't complicated and easy to template.At one point I was going to have a dozen pairs made and offer them up to other owners but we sold the boat the year we planned to get going on this.Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: Christian via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> Date: 6/14/24  9:51 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Cc: Christian <ccaper at gmail.com>, c320-list at lists.catalina320.com, Tim <chillinonahd at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Mid ship cleats Tim,for years I have used a mid ship cleat on my jib car track, and love it.Easy peasy to install, just slides on the track! Catalina direct has twomodelshttps://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/hull-deck/midship/midship-mooring-cleat-stainless-1-14quot-track/The pricier one at $181, but gorgeous.https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/hull-deck/midship/midship-mooring-cleat-on-car-1-14quot-track/$81I have two of the pricier ones, 8 years later, no probs.Hope this helps.-Christian1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, ILOn Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 8:25 AM Tim via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:> Hello fellow C320 owners,> Now that I’ve moved from a mooring to a slip, I need mid ship cleats. Can> anyone share how they have installed these and how easy/difficult was the> process?> Thx>>> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone>