[C320-list] sail shape

Rich Allen randnallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 04:57:50 PDT 2024

Hi Louis,

Here is another thing to check:

When we bought our 1995 #265 320 two years ago, it had sails from 2017.
The previous owner did not use the boat much due to health issues, so the
sails were like new.  However, it was not possible to trim the sails
properly.  The previous owner had adjusted the original equipment rigid
boom vang to make it impossible for the boom to hit the bimini.  There are
several stop locations in the vang against which the internal spring is
compressed.  He had moved the stop so that with the spring fully compressed
the boom was 9 inches above the bimini.  With this configuration the sail
could not be sheeted down tight and it always had a baggy shape.  When the
stop was returned to the original position, the sail could be sheeted down
properly for good shape, but now the boom would graze the bimini
when properly trimmed.  So last year the sail was modified to move the tack
higher.

The moral of the story is to be sure you are able to sheet the sail down
tightly when sailing upwind.  It should be possible to pull the
leach tight.  If the leach is tight, and the outhaul is also tight, yet the
sail is baggy, then your approach to have a sailmaker look at is correct.
If it is the original sail, this would be a good step regardless, and
perhaps time to think about a new one.

Best regards,
Rich Allen
SV Destiny, 1995 #265