[C320-list] Rubbing strake replacement

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Fri Mar 1 09:52:27 PST 2024

I had to replace some sections of my rub rail in 2022 because of minor damage from Hurricane Ida.  I can't comment on the appearance of your proposed replacement, since we can't see it, and it's a personal decision anyway.  But Here are a few thoughts to consider on the mechanics of the project.

You are correct that the metal channel is held onto the boat by a combination of screws and through-bolts.  The through-bolts also secure the hull-deck joint, and you'll want to retain them.  But if the replacement doesn't include a metal channel like the one you are replacing, you will want to add washers or some other plate to spread the load on the exterior of the hull.  That may complicate attaching your replacement fender on top of the bolts.

Access to the nuts for the through-bolts in the head required removing the panel above my medicine cabinet, which was not fun.  Consider whether you need to access the holding tank vent, or the wiring to the shore power outlet in that area while you have it open.

I started the project at the dock in my marina, but I only have a finger pier on one side, and it is shorter than the boat.  It was a bit of a pain to either work while leaning over the rail, or have to turn the boat to have somewhere to sit or stand off the boat.  I installed the new rubber insert while on the hard at a shipyard, and it was much easier to just move a step ladder around as I worked.

The metal channel at the stem of my boat was undamaged, so I didn't have to replace it.  But you'll need a plan for a pretty tight bend of whatever rub rail you install at the stem, which may or may not be easy to do with the product you propose.

I bought three sections of replacement metal channel from Catalina, to replace sections damaged by dock rash from Ida.  Catalina sold me 66 feet of rubber insert, to replace the insert all the way around the boat.  That amount seemed reasonable for a 32 foot boat.  BUT, it turned out to be about 2-1/2 feet short!  Whatever you use, measure carefully, and buy a little extra to avoid having to splice a section of the old rail into your brand new work.

Good luck with your project!

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232