[C320-list] Rubbing strake replacement

Chris White chriswhite252000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 06:12:05 PST 2024

I want to replace the rubbing strake on my 1997 Catalina 320.The aluminium has become pitted and corroded in places.

I have read some earlier articles in Mainsheet and understand there is a combination of screws and bolts fastening the aluminium track to the hull.I believe the larger bolts make be structural, so possibly best not disturbed.
I believe I could obtain the aluminium track and rubber insert from Catalina, but as I am in the UK this would be expensive.
What if I used a PVC 'D' shaped fender which I can obtain locally?It has a strip insert and plugs to fill the drill holes.It would be a similar size the the track being removed.
Would this detract from the appearance of the boat, something I would not want to do.
Any advice or comments would be welcome.
Thank you.
Chris WhiteYacht Dandy #449PooleDorsetUK