[C320-list] stanchion leaks

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Tue Mar 12 12:21:00 PDT 2024

The decision depends on the condition of the deck where the stanchion attaches.  Unless the through-bolt was pulled out of the deck (in a collision or otherwise) the only reason to use epoxy would be to replace degraded plywood core.

When I had to replace a bent stanchion after Hurricane Ida there was no degradation in the area of the through-bolt holes, so I just bedded the stanchion with butyl tape. (I don't recall if there was even plywood core that close to the edge of the deck.)   I did countersink the holes a bit, to provide more area for the butyl tape to seal.

If I had noted any degraded core, I would have drilled oversize holes, cleared the degraded core, filled the space with thickened epoxy, and then re-drilled through the epoxy.  I did just that when I had to replace the through-deck portion of my chainplates.  (Later 320s had an improved deck with solid fiberglass in the area of the chainplates, but my 1995 model did not.)

So look at the condition of the hull and deck where you are re-bedding, and epoxy and re-drill only if needed.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA