[C320-list] Exhaust question

ART HARDEN artstree at aol.com
Mon May 27 06:40:30 PDT 2024

For water in the bilge on a boat that age, you might want to check the knot meter transducer in the depth transducer underneath the V berth. You can access the area by pulling out the lower drawer. On Tortuga, they did not have gaskets on outside side of the hull just caulk. This is a repair best completed when the boat is hauled out. They did not use a gasket on the outside of the hull To reduce water resistance. In my opinion, that extra thickness on the outside of the hull is not going to slow the boat down that much. I’d rather have a dry bilge than have 1/100 knot faster speed.

Also, the Catalina smile (separation of the hull and keel) can create constant water in the bilge. I know by experience. In 2022 I was taking on a gallon an hour in the bilge right after launch. I ended up losing two months of sailing season waiting for the repair to get done. This is a repair best done by professionals not the amateur fiberglass DIY guy.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)