[C320-list] Exhaust question

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 05:49:50 PDT 2024

Water leakage from a cracked muffler or the packing gland should not wind up in the pan beneath the engine.
There is a pvc tube that extends from behind the engine near the shaft coupling, extends under the engine pan,  and goes into the bilge ..... or at least there should be a tube! On my boat a tube was not installed by Catalina.  On mine, there is a rear hole where the tube entrance should be.  If water builds up on my boat behind the small rear lip of the engine pan,  water enters the hole and floods my structural grid and eventually seeps into the bilge.
Troy discusses having the pump cycle on and off when the freshwater system has a leak.  On my boat I had this and after looking everywhere, I discovered that there was a leak in either my hot or cold water line that feeds the head sink. These lines are in my structural grid.  I could not remove them. So, I had to reroute/replace them.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

  On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 7:03 AM, Troy Dunn via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   The water muffler is the most likely exhaust leak on the Yanmar.
Surprised you had an exhaust elbow issue, the elbows from that time frame
were stainless steel and seem to hold up for a very long time.  Did you
see the old elbow.  Was it stainless?  If so, was the leak at the weld
where the raw water tube is injecting water into the exhaust pipe?

Although the leaking muffler would explain water in the bilge, generally
the 'pan' under the engine fills with water when the exhaust muffler leaks.
  So, assuming you don’t have that issue and assuming the leak is happening
when not running the engine, I would start with the fresh water system.
If this is a freshwater leak you should either hear the pump cycle every
few minutes or so, or….the leak is before the pump which generally entails
some boat yoga to check the outlets of the water tanks.    If you narrow it
down to a freshwater leak beyond the pump (I.e. the pump is in fact cycling
when water isn’t in use) but don’t see any obvious water leaks…check around
the water heater under the galley sink.  The water heater (calorifier for
the folks across the pond) will eventually leak and have to be replaced.
Getting to all the fittings and connections requires removal of the galley
drawer unit.  Just remove the drawers, unscrew the frame and the whole unit
slides out.

Troy Dunn
Hull#514