[C320-list] Head odors

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu May 30 11:17:39 PDT 2024

Hi Jeff,Hull 17 is a ways back but I think this still applies.1.  The vent line is larger diameter than the vent thruhull.  So the factory used a smaller hose on the fitting and then the larger hose over that.  This joint leaks gases when the head is pumped or sloshing causes vent air to move. Sometimes the vent gets blocked slightly and causes back pressure which makes that hose joint leak worse.2. The small vent is slightly inadequate for the intended purpose. It's really a fuel tank vent. The solution is to eliminate that hose joint.  To do this, replace the small vent with a slightly larger clamshell thruhull vent. The vent hose will fit directly now and creates no back pressure either.We had bad head smells in our boat even after swapping the factory rubber hoses with quality white ones.  When we fixed this thruhull vent tie-in problem and added a properly sized vent the issue vanished immediately.  No more smells in the head or aft cabin closet.It's important to wipe down the exterior of the holding tank and all the hoses with something like Clorox wipes from time to time to keep the smells to a min. There is a series of pics on this thruhull change on the c320.org website that I posted years ago.Also search the discussing list archives for head smells discussions.Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Hecht via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> Date: 5/30/24  12:45 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com Cc: Jeff Hecht <jeffahecht at me.com> Subject: [C320-list] Head odors Hey guys I have hull 17. I have been having an issue where when I have been out on the water the head starts to stink. When I got to my boat yesterday there was little to no odor, but after a race, with great winds and some heeling, the odor was significant. Any suggestions?Regards,Jeff Hecht973-563-5260