[C320-list] Hot Water Pressure at a trickle

B. Stumpp bstumpp at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 11:05:58 PDT 2024

Bill,

I agree with the need to get as much water as possible out of the hot water
heater.

When our 320 was new to us (now owned 24 years) I  thought it was okay to
just drain the tank, add some antifreeze and call it finished.

The tank froze and broke.  I tore it apart to see what the insides were
like.

The inside was like a glass bottle turned  on it's side so a fair amount of
water would still be  inside after being drained (I never understood why it
was designed that way).

When the temperature went down, the remaining water froze and the bottle
broke.an expensive lesson.

Since then, I drain all the tanks and clean them out.  Push some antifreeze
through the pipes and pump to insure they are protected.

Then bypass the hot water tank, drain what I can and use a wet vac to suck
out as much as possible.

Have removed as much as 2 gallons of water using this method and believe
there is still some water in there.

The vac has a narrow tip that allows me to hold it up against the tank drain
and create a suction.

After sucking out what I can, and just to be safe, I add about two cups of
antifreeze to the water heater.

I agree with you. it's important to get as much water out of the hot water
tank as possible before completing winterization.

Bruce Stumpp

Adventure, #647

Middle River, Maryland

Message: 7