[C320-list] Gypsy

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Sep 2 12:43:11 PDT 2024

I've never had a swivel. I just use a shackle. Here's a Practical Sailor article discussing them: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchor-swivels-caution-required

I too have the Maxwell 500 rope-only windlass that came with older 320s. I believe that Maxwell used to make a kit that converted it to handle chain, but that disappeared many moons ago.

As I hit 70 and upgraded to a 35-pound Manson supreme anchor with 30 feet of 5/16 chain, I too started thinking about upgrading my windlass because it's getting more and more difficult to pull up everything.

As far as I can tell, there is no choice but to go with a new Maxwell vw10 or vw1000 due to the configuration. Defender seems to have the best prices, but these now start at $2,100.

I have been waiting for the price to fall, but it keeps creeping up.

Has anyone ever tried to mount a different, less expensive windlass on the 320? I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
[https://cdn.practical-sailor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/p19smohij3nhm1sq29i5h5vdm48.jpg.optimal.jpg]<https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchor-swivels-caution-required>
Anchor Swivels: Caution Required - Practical Sailor<https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchor-swivels-caution-required>
Since 1974, Practical Sailor’s independent testing has taken the guesswork out of boat and gear buying.
www.practical-sailor.com