[C320-list] Engine alignment

Charles Mueller Chuckmueller212 at outlook.com
Sun Sep 15 06:06:43 PDT 2024

I have owned my 2000 C320 since 2007, and I never succeeded in getting the shaft alignment within tolerance.  I always have a gap on the port side, and the motor mounts don't let me swing the front of the motor far enough to close that gap.  So I've been living with more vibration than I would like.  I think that this also leads to shorter life on the cutlass brearing which I have replaced every 6-7 years.

Last week, my 3 blade Flexofold prop fell off, probably due to vibration.  So I need to address this.  Anyone else have this same problem?  Can I drill out the slots on the motor mounts to get more travel?  Are there thin anti-vibration couplings that would help without modifying the shaft?  Cutlass bearing strut out of alignment?

The engine is a Yanmar 3GM30, stainless steel shaft added 4 years ago.

Chuck Mueller
Northwind #676
Holland, MI