[C320-list] Aluminium rub rail and rubber insert

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:58:01 PDT 2024

I've replaced a section of the aluminum that got mauled by the dock and the
entire rubber insert.   Call Catalina in FL they had the rail and the
rubber insert.   The rail comes in sections that are something like 10’ ish
feet.

I’m not sure what you mean about the hull parting with the deck molding.
The rubrail on Hull #514 is below the shoebox deck joint.   I removed the
damaged section of rub rail by removing the through bolts and putting them
back together same way.

Getting the old insert out is a piece of cake.   Just unscrew at one aft
end and start peeling around to the other aft end.    Remove other aft
screw and celebrate this minor victory because getting the new insert back
in is a right pain in the behind.   You will think you can easily do this
solo but you will be wrong.  It’s probably doable somehow solo but I had to
call in reinforcements and even then had to use way more force with a hard
rubber mallet than I was truly comfortable with to drive the insert home.
 There are all sorts of suggestions for heating, using soapy water, etc.
etc.   I found these to be helpful and necessary but insufficient to get it
done right.   A friend and a hammer were required.  Once you get into the
groove it starts to go quickly, but I think it was 3 hours start to finish
just to get the insert done.    I could probably do it in 2 now.   Wrapping
the nose around the bow really requires extra attention.

I think there are more articles somewhere.   Will try to hunt them down.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514