[C320-list] Power Consumption

Stan ola7442000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:08:58 PST 2005

Hi Chis,
Below are the measured loads for the electrical equipment on my boat

Device            Amperes
LED Tricolor     0.5
Instruments       0.15
Refer                5.5
VHF Standby     0.33
VHF Transmit     5.4
Autopilot            1.5*
Radar Standby   0.6
Radar Transmit  2.7
Cabin Lights      0.9/E

* - at dock

I believe my original incandescent running lights drew 3.5 amperes.  The
load that would consume the most power (amp-hours) would be dependant on
many conditions.  Cool days = lower Refer. use.  In the summer mine averages
about a 25% duty cycle (Lake Michigan).  The sea state would determine how
hard the autopilot would have to work.

I have done a 300+ mile single handed race the last couple of years and have
found if I put a couple bags of ice in the Refer. and turn it off I can sail
about 64 hours before I'm down to 55% charge (400 AmpHr. battery bank).
Besides being a fun race it's great not having to charge batteries along the
way.  The LED tricolor made a big difference in power consumption.  (10 Ah a
night Vs. 35 Ah)

Stan
"Our Little Amusement" #744

--