[C320-list] cunningham

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 11:09:16 PST 2005

Hi Bob,

I hope you are coping with the off season better than I am. I've been
compensating by finding ways to spend the left-overs from last season's
equipment budget. That helped for a few of days. Now I'm into next season's
budget and I'm thinking about a new Genoa (again). Can't decide between UK
and Doyle.

If you are tired of moving the mainsheet to free up the stbd winch you might
consider this. Last season I experimented with dead-ending the mainsheet on
the starboard side so the starboard winch is free. Catalinas with furling
mains do this so I figured it was worth a try. I didn't miss being able to
adjust the sheet at the stbd winch on either tack. I'll rig the boat this
way from now on.

As to the cunningham, someone (might have been a local sailmaker) once
opined that it was not very effective or necessary unless it was used on a
loose footed main. Maybe someone can explain or refute that?

JeffC