[C320-list] Yanmar 3YM30---access to adjust valves

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 08:00:27 PDT 2006

Was the mechanic also going to retorque the head bolts?  On my Yanmar
3GM30F, which is one model earlier than yours, you have to remove a few fuel
injector lines in order to remove the rocker arms in order to get to the
head bolts to torque them to spec.  The fresh water pump hose needs to be
removed to get one of the fuel injector lines off and a partial drain of the
cooling system is necessary.  A similar situation may exist for the newer
version of this engine.  I went through all this and found that all the head
bolts were perfectly on spec regarding torque settings.

Adjusting the valves on the older 3GM30F only requires removal of the rocker
arm cover on Hull 894 and a complicated system of finding top dead center
for each of the 3 pistons in order to adjust the valve clearance.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894