[C320-list] Questions for Gerry Douglas

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Thu Aug 17 21:43:50 PDT 2006

Rod, I was the one who kept the list of questions for 2001.  The answers
were supposed to have been recorded, and sent to me (the purchaser of my
boat had other plans for me that weekend so I didn't go to the Regatta)
for type-up to be put on the web and on the C320 list.  Regretfully,
everyone was so enthralled that no one took notes.  I still have a file
on this, and below you will see the questions for that period of time.

Remember, I did not write these questions, so I would appreciate no one
on the list telling me tell me that I am stupid, the question is dumb,
we have discussed it on the list, don't waste Gerry's time, etc. etc.
(You know who you are.)  In other words, don't shot the messenger.

Finally, as a personal note, not everyone at this Regatta was at the
last one where these questions may have been asked.  Thus, it would not
seem valid to delete the questions because they were asked FIVE YEARS
ago.

1.	Electrical consumption.  What is the expected average power
drain per hour of the reefer, running lights, halogen lighting,
incandescent lighting and standard equipment of the boat?

2.	Electrical generation.  What is the battery recharging
generation capacity of the engine and generator.  Although it is
understood that usage varies greatly, for a several day trip without
being able to plug in dockside, how long would you have to run the
engine each day to cover running lights, anchor lights, a few hours of
refer, cabin lights, etc?

3.	What is the optimum angle of heel for each point of sailing?

4.	There is a polar diagram circulated by members of the 320
mailing list and the association.  Is this the official polar diagram?
If not, does Catalina have one, and what are the assumptions such as
what size jib, etc.?

5.	Realistically, how close to the wind should a well sailed 320 be
able to point with winds of 8, 10, 15, 20 and 25 knots?

6.	There has been a considerable amount of talk about water finding
its way into all sorts of side enclosures under the floor boards, under
the head holding tank and under the port settee.  How can we keep water
to the bilges and get the water in the bilges to drain to the part of
bilge where the pump is?  In the shallow keel boats, please note, the
pump is not in the lowest part of the bilge.

6a.	Some owners recommend drilling holes in the stringers or filling
some of the grid under the floor boards with foam to avoid this water
problem.  What do you think about these ideas?

7.	There appears to be some confusion of the depth below the water
of a standard loaded 320.  What is the depth of the wing-keel and the
fin keel?

8.	The newer 320's lack the cut outs in the forward bulkheads that
are present in the older hulls.  Was this done for increase structural
strength or some other reason? In other words, do the owners of the
boats with the cut-outs have to worry about the support of this
bulkhead?  Is it structurally all right for the owners of the newer
boats to do their own cut outs?

9.	What is the correct size for the packing gland?  What do you
think about PSS for the 320?

10.	What has Catalina altered from the original drawings?  We are of
course not talking about little things like finishes or fabrics, but
issues effecting operation, use, sailing ability and safety?

11.	The hockey puck style lights really do not light up the cabins
of the older boats.  What do you recommend for an upgrade?

12.	What is your opinion of furling mains on the 320?  Do you have a
system you recommend for the boat?  What is your opinion of in-boom
reefing/furling for the 320?  Do you have a system you recommend.
Between boom or mast systems, what do you recommend and why?

13.	What is the recommended dock side tension of the headstay?
Uppers?  Lowers?  Backstay?

14.	What is the appropriate torque for the keel bolts?

15.	What causes the port list?  Other than putting weights behind
the head cabinet, what do you recommend?

16.	Assuming 10 pumps per flush, approximately how many flushes can
the head holding tank hold?  This sounds humorous, but this is quite
important for planning a long weekend sail for a family when overboard
discharge isn't allowed.

17.	What is a good way to store and launch a dinghy for the 320
(inflatable or rigid)?

18.	The boats with the full batten mains really tend to round up in
winds over 18 plus knots.  What do you recommend to reduce this?

19.	Realistically, what are the boat's limitations for off shore
cruising?  For example, Hawaii and back from San Diego, or Bermuda and
back from the East Coast.  (Yes, we know of the A-1 rating.)  What
passages are you aware of for the 320.  (One of the members has done the
Fastnet and the North Sea, but we are not aware of others.)

20.	What do you recommend for a heating and/or AC system for the
boat?

21.	Installation of cabin top equipment.  Members of the list have
often discussed installing ventilators, fans, cleats, and other gear on
top of the cabin.  Where can the holes for these items be drilled
without being concerned about cutting lighting wires or anything else?
Can you suggest specific locations to avoid?  Are the locations the same
for all boats or do they very for hull number?

That is the list of questions that I have from 2001.  Please let me know
if I can do anything else.

Adam