[C320-list] raising a bosun's chair

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 12:38:33 PDT 2006

A safety device is of utmost priority. Tailing a
second halyard is a real hassle and easy to mess up.

I prefer securing the second halyard at both ends and
tying an ascending knot to it and hooking a climbing
rated carbiner to the hoisting rings of the bosun's
chair.

My preference is the Prusik loop, but there are a
couple of others as well on this site.

http://www.climbing.ie/knotstop.html

Take up enough slack to practice releasing the knot
before you get too high off your toes. You want to be
able to control your decent and know you can do it
befor ascending.

With a little practice, you can tie a pair of these,
one for your chair and one for your feet and climb the
mast fairly easily without assistance if you are in a
bind.
cb

--- Koen Bennebroek <vergaar2004-catalina at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I finally got a bulb for our deck light half-way up
> the mast. Now I just need to get it in. WM had a
> pocket bosun's chair on sale, so I ordered it. Now
> the question becomes, how to get it up there? We
> have a spinaker halyard that we can backup with the
> main halyard for safety (or vice-versa). Can we use
> the anchor windlass for this? Or are there other
> preferred methods, like routing it over the 2 jib
> winches? Is using 2 halyards enough safety or are
> there other safety precautions to think of?
>
> Any advice is highly appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Koen
> (BigCat, #224, 1995)

Chris Burti