[C320-list] Should I buy a C320?

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Thu Dec 14 19:44:14 PST 2006

Brian:  I'd do my homework carefully before trying to take a 320 up the
Rideau canal.  My parents have a house on one of the lakes so I spend a
lot of time on and near the canal.  My impression is that water depths
near some of the locks are not sufficient for a 320, even with a wing
keel.  I believe that officially the canal has a maintained depth of 5',
but I have been told there is less in places, and I am sure that this is
true when water levels are below normal.  You should check with the
canal authorities before beginning any such trip.  I have rarely seen
large sailboats on the canal w or without a mast up.  I did see a large
sailing barge once, but it had a flat bottom and leeboards.

Scott