[C320-list] Starting Battery Question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 09:07:05 PDT 2006

In reading the two messages from CRA and Jon Vez's response it seems they may be talking about two different things.  CRA says, "the existing battery combiner switch it will parallel the 4Ds and the new smaller starting battery (in the "all" position);" and Jon says, "the Combiner does parallel/cut the  two dissimilar banks."  The former, I believe, refers to the main battery switch, Off-1-Both-2, and the latter to an electronic device known as a "combiner" that is placed in-line between two battery banks and which, "combiner takes care of charging/disconnecting my starter from my paralled house bank of 2 4D's (automatically)...Jon.

A "combiner" should sense the presence of a charging votalge and connect the two banks.  When the voltage drops below a set value, the banks are disconnected.  Some combiners allow setting the make and break voltage.  The combiner should also detect when the two banks are at greatly different states of charge and operate to prevent an onrush of current, as well as protect from excessive voltage from a charging source.

A combiner is a suitable solution when a charging source (altenator) is connected to only one of two banks.  If there is a shore powered charger with connection to both banks, be sure the combiner is able to handle this situation.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay