[C320-list] outboards

Ben Waltuck benw at sun.com
Sun Jun 18 19:16:06 PDT 2006

For some comparison shopping, check out the defender website:
http://www.defender.com/outboards-price-list.html

I have a Mercury 2-stroke 3.5hp for a very small 240 inflatable, and
I've never needed to throttle up more than 1/3 of the way with 2 adults
in the dinghy.

I spent a long time looking for a 2-stroke because I decided that weight
was the most important factor for me because I'm in a slip and rarely
use the dinghy.. if you plan to do any serious dinghy excursions then
you might want something more powerful, but I suspect that 3.5 hp would
power even a 310 just fine.

Check out the defender site that I listed above and you'll see:
*Model #* 	*Description 1* 	*Description 2* 	*Availability* 	*Price*
J3RSD <http://www.defender.com/ProductDisplay?id=529746>

Johnson J3RSD 2-Stroke 2006

3.5 hp, 15" Shaft, Tiller, Rope Start, 30 Lbs

*In Stock*

*$820.00*

J4R4SR <http://www.defender.com/ProductDisplay?id=219207>

Johnson J4R4SR 4-Stroke 2004

4 hp, 15" Shaft, Tiller, Rope Start, 55 Lbs

*In Stock*

*$1080.00*

My mercury 3.5 weighs 30 Lbs, and I can easily carry it around.. lifting
it from the stern to the dinghy with no problem at all.
I think that moving a 55Lb motor would be much more difficult, and I'd
rather mix a little fuel than carry the extra 25 Lbs.

 From my (limited) experience, I'd recommend the smallest and lightest
outboard that you can find.

Ben Waltuck
Getaway #352