[C320-list] Chicago - Mack Singlehanded race

Sweetwater Yacht Charters sail at sweetwater-charters.net
Fri Jun 23 06:16:30 PDT 2006

Ha Ha, the famous Ted Turner comeuppance. For those who don't know, Ted once
referred to Lake Michigan as a "millpond" just before he raced in the Mac.
Lake Michigan retaliated by sending him a storm with 60 kt winds. At the
height of the storm, Ted was heard to exclaim, "I publicly retract anything
and everything I have ever said about inland racing!"

Stan, were you in the group a few years back who had such terrible weather
in the Solo? We ended up on Mackinac Island right after the race and heard a
lot of horror stories (and saw a lot of the boat damage). I gained a lot of
respect for the single-handers that day! Nothing like a little "Yeah, I got
knocked down coming through the Manitou Passage and ripped up my spinnaker,
but at least I didn't lose my rudder like some others did." Yikes!

Looks like you might have some light winds this year. They are saying 5-15
right now so for your sake I hope it is closer to the 15! I'll be cheering
you on from White Lake, about halfway up the Michigan shoreline. Good Luck!

Joan
C320 #90 Persistence