[C320-list] FW: Re: exhaust elbow question

jonvez at comcast.net jonvez at comcast.net
Fri Oct 6 06:11:14 PDT 2006

For what its worth, the Catalina custom elbow that I have is insulated--Can't say whether it's a benefit or not--Although it makes external visual inspection impossible, I'm not sure that it matters since all the good stuff happens within the tubing....

Regards,

Jon Vez

From: "Karl Mielenhausen _/) " <kmielen at iwon.com>

> Anyone care to weigh in on the value of insulating the elbow? I've seen it on
> boats either way and wondered if insulation might inhibit carbon buildup? Or is
> it just an attempt to reduce heat in the engine compartment? Or perhaps prevent
> buring due to accidental contact?
>

> Karl Mielenhausen
>
> 2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"
>
> New Bern, NC
>
> http://members.cox.net/mielen/
>
> From: domace [mailto: domace at picknowl.com.au]
>
> To: c320-list at catalina320.com
>
> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:29:29 +0930
>
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] exhaust elbow question
>

> Bruce

After cleaning our the exhaust elbow, my diesel mechanic
> recommended that I
work my Yanmar engine hard for five or ten minutes at
> least every fifty
hours or so to blow the carbon out of the exhaust system.
> The other advice
was to let it idle for five minutes to let it cool down
> before turning it
off.

Hope that helps,

Owen