[C320-list] Blocks on mast collar

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Sep 17 18:14:39 PDT 2006

Hi,

The blocks at the base of the mast are made by Garhauer Marine.  They're not
listed in the catalog, but call them and ask for the mast step turning
blocks for a C320. Remind them that they're the ones with the stud and the
nut that slides into the mast step.

Most likely yours are corroded, since the mast step is aluminum, and the
stud is SS.  Find a penatrating oil or corrosion cutting penetrating oil and
spray them.  If they aren't lead fair then they'll bend the block and/or the
mounting stud.

They should be able to turn freely to be positioned for a fair lead. It
isn't necessary to turn them until they're tight, just until they're
threaded into the nut sufficiently which is in all the way, then back off a
half turn or so.

I just made a quick drawing of how these studs attach.  You should be able
to remove the block itself, and then with some work, free the stud.

http://www.catalina320.com/gallery/MastStep  Click on the drawing to see a
larger version.  Ok, so I'm not an artist.

You can order more blocks or mast studs from Garhauer Marine.  They're quite
inexpensive and guaranteed 10 years.

-JeffH

PS: Just another example of not using TefGel or Lanocote on the studs from
time to time.