[C320-list] Globe Flexible Coupling

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Apr 6 08:47:07 PDT 2007

Hi Kurt,

  I would suggest looking at the PYI Flexible coupling which is a bit
different in design than the Globe drive saver.

The PYI version allows for engine alignment with the coupling in place, and
is also designed to keep the shaft connected to the engine in the event of
it "blowing out" due to some catastrophic event (which is really what these
guys are all about anyway).

As I understand it, the system will allow motoring at manuvering speed after
it does it's thing given the way the mechanical assembly is designed.  The
globe unit looks like it would simply allow the engine and flange to part
ways completely which (with a stuffing box) could let your prop slide back
and jam on your rudder.

Not making marketing statements, just observed design differences.

-Jeff