[C320-list] Stainless Steel Shaft

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 09:53:49 PDT 2007

"The Propeller Handbook" by Dave Gerr, says that the space between the propeller and the strut or cutlass should not exceed 1.5 X shaft dia.  He also says that if you are replacing the shaft to take the shaft and coupler to take both to a machine shop to have the coupler fitted true.  Any remaining difference will be minimized by aligning the engine and shaft.

I've not heard of a "split shaft coupling" before.  I couldn't find it on the PYI web site, though I assume they have/can get if you call.  I Googled the term and found one on e-bay for $65 +8.50S&H Click Here.  Does this device assure a true alignment with the shaft?  Does it require drilling for the location of the set screw?  Being able to easily remove the coupler to allow removal of the packing nut is a great advantage.  I'm putting this one in my "to be considered" file.

Great information on this site.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River