[C320-list] asymetric spinnaker or genneker

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Thu Aug 9 19:42:24 PDT 2007

You should probably talk to a local sailmaker about the measurements, how
and where you want to sail, etc. I have both kinds of spinnakers and find
that I can sail much deeper with the symmetrical sail, but it's a lot more
trouble, requiring more and pretty well trained crew. You should sail this
sail on someone else's boat, at least several times, before investing in
one. The rigging's more expensive and it's quite a bit more complicated.

The gennaker will sail deeper with higher wind, but with higher wind, you
may not need it, especially if you have a whisker pole. I have the tacker
and snuffer, both made by ATN (see www.atninc.com) and they work pretty
well. If you have the foam luff in your headsail, you should probably upsize
the tacker or it'll get stuck on the fat furled headsail. The snuffer is
fabulous when trying to get the sail down in windy conditions. Getting any
of them down is really the trick.

Good luck!

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935