[C320-list] Mast Cranes and Asymmetrics.

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Aug 26 15:44:40 PDT 2007

I've added a photo of the masthead of my 1999 boat (hull 653) to the
website that might help others understand the masthead halyard
configuration.  See:

http://www.catalina320.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album37&id=IMG_3054

There are four exit sheaves on the forward side of the mast, two above
the headstay and two just below.  The latter are for jibs while the
former are for spinnakers.  I have a jib halyard exiting the lower port
sheave (and led through a separate fairlead below the sheave).  I have a
spinnaker halyard exiting the port upper sheave.  (In the photo, the
spinnaker halyard is wrapped aft and around the port side of the mast
temporarily, because I was using it as my safety backup while climbing
the mast on the main halyard.)  Because the spinnaker halyard exits
above the headstay it can be safely jibed without fouling on the
headstay.  Obviously different boats might be rigged differently even if
they have the same number of halyards.

The arrangement on my boat is not ideal in terms of chafe, but then I
don't fly the chute that often or for long periods of time.  There is a
bit of a tendency for the sock to bunch up at the top.  But the
so-called "cranes" that I've seen for the 320 do not actually put the
turning block very far forward of the headstay, and so probably do not
actually make much of a difference in this respect.

Scott Thompson
"Surprise", 653