[C320-list] Fuel filter bleeding

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Aug 31 11:59:35 PDT 2007

Well, I guess the best logical explanation we seem to be getting here is "my
guy says so" which doesn't do much to appease the engineer in me. :)

Perhaps we should find another person at the Yanmar factory and ask them
too.  The Yanmar factory guy we asked last year at the C320 regatta said
Yanmar switched to using 2 micron filters.  10 years ago they probably WERE
installing 10 or 15 micron filtration systems on the engine.  I don't
question whether our local diesel goddesses are capable and amazing
mechanics, just whether they are fully current with Yanmar's current
recommendations?

I guess since Yanmar factory ships our engines today with 2 (or 3?) micron
engine filters installed, that tells me anyway that they want 2 micron
filtration protection for their injectors. I guess however you get that
level of filtration, by the time the fuel gets to the injectors, is probably
just fine.

Here's the reasoning I'm following anyway:
Since the engine mounted filter is so physically small and has so little
filtration surface area, that I just consider it a "last chance" filter.
It'll clog pretty quickly if I get really bad fuel or stir up the gunk on
the bottom of the tank.  If I use the large surface area of the Racor as my
main filter and separator, I'll never have to change the engine filter in an
emergency, just the primary.

If you think about it, if you get dirty fuel, it's going to have more
suspended fine material than big stuff, so the big stuff probably won't clog
the larger Racor before the fine material clogs the engine mounted filter.
My goal was to avoid ever having to change both filters underway if I got a
clog.  The engine is going to be HOT and changing the engine mounted filter
in rolling seas on a hot engine isn't my idea of joy. I'd rather just
quickly change the Racor, bleed a little air from the secondary and be back
topside as quick as possible (retaining my lunch preferably). :)

All that said, I have a single 2micron filter on my tractor's yanmar diesel
engine fuel line that's about the same size as our 3GM engine filter. It
hasn't clogged up in almost 9 years (550 very dusty engine hours).  So, in
the end, maybe it's not that critical.  (Hmm... Maybe it's time to change
that one...)

Good luck with whatever choices you make!

Cheers!
-Jeff