[C320-list] FW: Changing transmission fluid

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Tue Jun 5 06:56:29 PDT 2007

Bruce,

You have 2 choices for the Kanzaki (neither of which is transmission fluid):

SAE 30W per the nameplate and Yanmar manual ..or..

SAE 15W40 (ie. the same oil you use in the crankcase)

The latter has been suggested by Mack Boring and others in order to eliminate the need to carry 2 oils on board. The transmission will only need 0.3 l (10 oz) to refill (assuming you are able to suck all the old out). Your suggestion to enhance the readability of the dipstick is a good one since this oil doesn't darken like the crankcase oil does.

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kmielen/