[C320-list] Raymarine RL70CRC and C-Map NT+ Chip Failure

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 10 17:31:40 PDT 2007

Dave:

Was at the boat this afternoon to thread coloured line onto the anchor
rode every 5 feet; a pleasant enough activity to do on a sunny windless
Sunday afternoon sitting in the cockpit under the awning watching the
boats go to and from the service dock while talking to the other owners
walking to and from their slips.

What I found from the chart plotter was that on startup it generates the
Raytheon logo rather than the Raymarine, which Raymarine claims means I
cannot use C-MAP NT+ chips. On the GPS getting a fix, the plotter did
not recognize my local NT+ chip in either card slot. It did not
recognize the NT+ chip I found in the plotter when the boat arrived in
Ottawa. It DID recognize the NT chip which was also in the plotter on
arrival. Thus I'm ready for Lake Michigan in the event that I ever
travel there.

The solution is to attempt to get a local NT chip if one is available,
or to get a refund for the NT+ chip. I will not spend the $800 US to
upgrade the hardware in the plotter to NT+ compatible. I have sailed the
same confined river waters for 5 years and know them. I  have been using
a paper chart and will continue to do so until I move to bigger water in
another 5 years. At that time I will upgrade to the then latest consumer
plotter hardware/software combination.

I thank everyone for their assistance and suggestions.

Brian Amirault
797 Waltzing Bear,too