[C320-list] Reefing Block inside boom

drshoffner at aol.com drshoffner at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 14:19:16 PDT 2007

Bill,

The pulley system inside the boom does nothing but add friction to the system while adding little if any mechanical advantage.  The block in my boom was very low tech with the sheave just running on a pin without any type of bearing involved. The best solution is to remove the block and run each line straight through.  I did this as well as running the line through small blocks attached to the cringles rather than throough the cringle itself, and the force now required to reef the sail is about 20% of what it was previously.  There are pictures of this set up on the web site, though I don't have the exact address.

Mike