[C320-list] 1996 vs. 2000

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Tue May 15 21:14:38 PDT 2007

I personally would take the older boat (I happen to have a 1996) and use
the 20k difference to tweak the boat the way you want it, not the way
Catalina has changed it.  For example, a new electrical panel (which is
a slight problem on the 1996) can be replaced for a few hundred dollars,
the teak grab rail by the sink can be purchased at West Marine for under
$20.  The better airflow in the aft cabin is only an issue if you stay
on board often in warm areas.  Replumbing the fridge is not really a
major issue, and for 20k in savings I can really put up with awkward
light switches.  The problem of the shallow bilge was resolved with a
PSS prop seal.

However, 20k could buy you a lot of new electronics, sails (you didn't
mention the condition for either boat of the sales), a cruising
asymmetrical and all the hardware, etc. and still have over 10k left
over for your cruising kitty.

By the way, you are probably more likely to negotiate the price down
more on the older boat.

Something else that you didn't mention is: how long do you intend to
keep the boat.  When I bought mine in was seven years old and I planned
on keeping it for 25 years.  Thus, resale was not an issue.  If you plan
on keeping it for a relatively short period of time than the newer boat
may have a higher resale value.