[C320-list] Winterizing water system

Barry Fahrer bfahrer at lisurveyor.com
Mon Oct 8 10:52:19 PDT 2007

For the last 3 years I have been using my air compressor to blow out all the
lines and the hot water heater.  The 2 years before that I used antifreeze
I have not had a problem with any of the pipes or fittings freezing and
failing or the annoyance or smell of the pink antifreeze.
I disconnect the fittings from the two tank manifolds and blow them through.
I then disconnect the heater and blow that through, followed by blowing
through all the faucet lines.  I was told by an old boat yard owner that
before the nontox came on the market that was how they winterized and it
makes sense to me, after all my sprinklers at home get the same treatment,
and last year after year.  I use a commercial Porter Cable pancake
compressor with a rubber tip at the business end.  I guess it takes me about
1 hour or so.  I do use about 1 gal of -40 in the drains and in the bilge
just incase there is any water intrusion.     Here on Long Island we have
moderate winters that still get down to the teens some nights
TRANSIT C-320 # 126