[C320-list] 155 vs. 135

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 10:10:49 PST 2008

Sam,

Opinions vary widely on this topic.

I thought about a 135 after experiencing the poor performance of the OEM 155 genoa, especially after it was a few years old. I bought a tri-radial Dacron 155 genoa with a white UV patch and found that it works much better than the OEM genoa, especially in light air where the OEM sail tended to hang like a wet sack. The tri-radial construction allows the sailmaker to use lighter weight fabric. The sail weighs less overall and the white UV patch puts much less weight on the leach. Of course, a 135 will still have better shape in heavier wind conditions. Even in those conditions the tri-radial, because of its superior shape, provides much more drive and less heel than the OEM sail. That allows you to carry it to relatively higher wind ranges without furling.

Before you buy you should consult with all of the local sailmakers and get quotes. Be careful to compare the type of material they suggest. That's an area where they can cut corners to give you a low-ball price.

After purchasing 5 sails (for different boats) in the last 4 years and consulting with all the major sailmakers each time, Doyle is my personal preference for a very good performance/cruising sail at a reasonable price. I consistently found that North was very expensive even for Dacron, UK wanted to sell me a laminate fabric that didn't suit my needs, and Quantum was about the same price as Doyle for an inferior fabric.

Good luck.

JeffC