[C320-list] Questions

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 18:42:38 PST 2008

Jason,

I have 1998 hull #545 (for a little while longer). If your engine pod is the same as mine, I believe you will have to move it. I'm sure others will verify whether they found it necessary.

The gray positioning post for the wheel drive has to mount to the binnacle below the level of the top of the pod. There's no work-around that I know of short of moving the pod, which is easy to do.

If you want the clutch and motor to be located in the 5 o'clock position you will have to drill a new positioning hole in the back side of the wheel drive. Ray provides 2 holes, but neither of them will locate the clutch/motor at roughly 5 o'clock. Also, the engine stop lever will hit the drive motor before it is pulled far enough to kill the engine. Drill a hole in the pod and move the stop lever outboard about 3/4" and you're all set. You can avoid having to do either of those things by mounting the unit so that the motor is in the 11:00 o'clock position, but I found that to be a little less convenient.

Here is a link to a picture of my installation on the 320 site. I can send more pics to you if you need a better look at the pieces that interfere with eachother and where I relocated things.

http://www.catalina320.com/gallery/idlewildprojects/IMG_0547a

JeffC