[C320-list] Dead down wind sailing?

Rick Evans ericstillwellevans at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 09:30:24 PDT 2008

Joe,

I have been racing one design Sonars for years as crew and understood their
weight distribution as well.  I am looking for any advantage cause my PHRF
fleet is pretty competitive.  In addition my rating seems way too low but I
will deal with that, as well as new sails and a complete bottom job next
year.

Upwind I keep everyone at the shrouds on the windward rail if its blowing
and the leeward rail if the wind is light.  Down wind we seem to get blown
away.  In a sonar flying a kite in moderate winds we kept weight back (but
thats a one design race boat).  Makes sense to keep the fat stern out of the
water for less drag down wind on a 320.

Thanks
Rick