[C320-list] Graphics Sizing

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Thu Mar 20 06:14:36 PDT 2008

Gary,

Technically, for documented vessels, the name and homeport need to be in
the same location according to CG regs:

> Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside
> of the hull, but are identified by >the name and hailing port. The
> application for documentation must include a name for the vessel
> composed >of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals
> and may not exceed 33 characters. The name >may not be identical,
> actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit
> assistance at sea; may >not contain or be phonetically identical to
> obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic
> >epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without
> application, fees, and the consent of >the Director, National Vessel
> Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for
> >documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.

> The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked
> together on some clearly visible exterior >part of the hull. The vessel
> name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and
> starboard bow >and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be
> marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any >means and
> materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four
> inches in height, made in >clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet
> or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include >both a
> place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The
> state may be abbreviated.

In reality, I have never heard of anyone hasseled because of this and I
suppose they make the arguement that from either rear quarter, one could
easily see the name and homeport at the same time, even though the name
was on the hull and the homeport on the transom.

In the case of Silver Lining, since I am also a USCG-AUX Operational
Vessel, I wanted to be in full compliance.  Also, with the dink on the
davits, visibility of any transom lettering is severely reduced. Finally,
like you, I had difficulty figuring out how to fit it all onto the
availible surfaces.

If you are not USCG Documented, you will need to consult your state
registration agency for specific marking requirements.

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690