[C320-list] RADAR Cut the Cord and When Reinstalled a Greater Burden

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun May 4 09:25:19 PDT 2008

Brian-The little radar secret that few know about is in International and US
Inland Rules 7(b) and 7(c) and 19(d) which increases your burden when
operating it especially in restricted visibility conditions. This was a
subject of much discussion in the US Coast Guard Captain's course I took a
few years ago.

Radar is a great tool for increased safety and I am considering installing
it for my Lake Michigan sailing.  Under the Rules when radar is used you
have a burden to use it properly and should not make decisions based on
scanty radar information.  In restricted visibility conditions if you must
take action when a close-quarters situation is developing or risk of
collision exists certain course alterations should be avoided - Rule 19 (d)
(i) and (ii).  The other vessel may not have radar and might not see or hear
you so the Rules place a little more responsibility on the radar user.

When underway as a licensed captain there is a little more of a burden on me
dealing with those boaters who are not following the rules, creating
close-quarters situations or a risk of collision.  Also if the Coasties pull
me over even a routine check and there is a technical violation such as out
dated flares or not enough life jackets and I am operating as a captain, I
might get more than a warning from them.

I have also heard as Jeff said that digital open array antennas are a big
improvement in this area.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894