[C320-list] ICW & Great Loop questions

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 06:10:53 PDT 2008

All:

OK, I can hear the chuckles now from those that have been there and
done that, but here goes.  Yes, I've heard of the ICW & Great Loop
before now.

I just got the October issue of Sail magazine.  There was an article
about the ICW which intrigued me.  I googled ICW and was led to pages
about both it and the Great Loop.
It was all intriguing, but still left me with questions.

Why would one take the ICW to transit up/down the east coast, rather
than standing just offshore (presuming fair weather) and taking the
open water route?
The ICW doesn't appear to be that far inland.  Is it a matter of
better facilities availability on the ICW versus the other way?

The page about the Great Loop mentions a 5 foot draft in some
locations (not much problem for my wing keel) and a 19 foot bridge in
Chicago, IL as challenges/restrictions to some boaters.  I presume
it's a fixed bridge; the entry didn't say.  If so, I imagine few
sailors can go around the entire Loop, unless they're either in a
Sunfish or smaller, or are willing to unstep their mast at that point?

If anyone has recommendations regarding reference material (books,
other publications, etc.) about the above routes, I'd welcome the
information.
We may not transit the Great Loop, but are looking forward to
'snowbirding' between NH & FL once I retire.  I'd like to select the
best route.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906