[C320-list] Sailing in the SFO Bay and Pacific

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 16:12:30 PDT 2008

Hello All,

Here is a question for this group.  "Dawn Treader" is likely moving
from sailing in Lake Michigan to SFO Bay and the Pacific.  It will
hopefully be on a truck heading West by Mid-November.  We will
probably keep the boat at Pier 39.  Now for the questions:

* Salt Water - how much damage can expect over time.  Note: I promise
to keep the boat hosed down all the time.
* Zincs - how often does one change this item?
* Is it necessary to paint the shaft and/or prop?
* Can one sail the C320 into the Pacific?  Destinations we are
considering - Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and Monterey.  I was told
this boat cannot handle the ocean, but I have been in 20' seas and
seen winds up to 80 kts (not fun btw).  The boat has sailed in steady
40 kt winds and did well (not the crew).  Is it plausible to sail
these jaunts around the peninsula? Not in the winter of course...
* What is the story on the property tax in California.
* I will want to race in SFO bay.  Opportunities for us Non-Americas
Cup type boats?
* Fleet info?
* General comments and perspectives sailing in the SFO area...

Best Regards,
Andrew Santangelo
#333   C320 Dawn Treader