[C320-list] In Boom Furler

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 18:11:12 PDT 2008

Brian,

Racing...now I can talk about what has worked for me.

Of course let me preface this by saying practice, learning from others
and learning the quirks of the boat are a key element.  But physical
changes to the vessel are a big help.

When I first raced it was purely for fun and excuse to take the boat
out.  It was a stock 320 with basic sails, wing keel and 3 blade
prop.  Needless to say we had lots of fun and were always dead last -
and by many minutes.

First change was actually learning some basic techniques and getting a
stable crew (another critical item).  We then placed always in the
bottom third.  We had fun, but now I had the bug.

The next season I added an autoprop to Dawn Treader.  This was a huge
step. We now placed in the middle to upper division, though never top
3.   BTW - the autoprop is excellent also for cruising - it feathers
nicely under sail, but has plenty of power when needed (45 kt wind
days, emergencies, or just wanting to get from point A to point B
quickly).  This is a must investment.

The next season I added a UK Gold head sail and replaced all the
sheets.  We placed 3rd a few times, but never won the season - but we
could see the changes.

At this point I also noticed cruising was fun, as we got to use the
sails more than motor on those light air days.

Then came the big changes in one off season:

* Ditched the wing keel for a fin keel.  We dropped about 400 lbs in
the process.  The boat points  2-5 deg better. We sit higher and
accelerate better.
* Hydraulic Backstay adjuster.  It refined our performance, especially
in heavy wind.
* Instrumentation.  A mast instrument pod (Raytheon) with remote
control was added so the crew can see the conditions and speed changes
when they adjust the sails without me telling them all the time.  This
performance improvement helped crew knowledge and efficiency - and I
could focus on the race course.  Also I like seeing the numbers when
looking straight ahead.  The chart plotters were also upgraded as was
the radar, with a duplicate station at the Nav Table.  When racing I
can now track the direction and speed of the boats around me (this is
done with the MARPA setting on the radar).
* Faired the bottom of the boat.  More problem than I expected, and
damage was done.  Since "unfairing" we do much better.  Long story on
this - but I saw no benefit.
* New sails: UK Tape Drive Jib, Main, Spectra Light Air Genoa, Storm
Jib, four different types of spinnakers.  This also made a difference
in performance for the better.  Great for cruising too.
* New Grauhaurer Main Traveler: Life made easy in trimming the main.
* Spinnaker gear: Two new winches, down haul, topping lift, spinnaker
pole - all necessary for the spinnakers, accept the asymmetrical.  BTW
- the kids love using the spinnaker for fun and excitement - they are
no longer bored with the basic sails (dad loves anything sailing
though).
* Electrical system - Balmer Alternator, external regulator, Link
Monitor, replaced batteries, and starter battery:  for the long sails
and races this was a mandatory upgrade.  This should be standard on
all C320's.  I will have to dig up the part numbers and to be honest I
cannot remember the price.  But this system has worked FLAWLESSLY for
8 years.  The one hour to get a nearly full recharge is a godsend. We
can run the refrigerator, electronics, stereo, and lights without a
worry.  The monitor is also a big help.    No need for generators on
Dawn Treader (and separate fuel if required).
* Added second radio with remote mic at helm with separate antenna.
Secondary antenna is on the rail in case the mast comes down (never
has, but you never know...).  This proved to be a big help for a 28'
boat I helped with a rescue in 20' seas.  They lost their rudder, were
out of control, no power and all they has was a hand held radio in the
middle of Lake Michigan - not good.  I hovered nearby and was the
radio relay between my vessel and the coast guard (also to help if the
vessel sank).  All ended well and they were rescued (Note - they got a
45' sailboat from the manufacturer for their pain and suffering!!!).

With all these upgrades we placed in a major cross lake race for the
first time! In the following years we have won or placed in 5 major
races or races series per year.  Cruising is also a blast (always is
though!).  Kids have fun with the boat and all the gadgets which is
good.  The boat is also easy to sail single handed or for two.  But we
all know the C320 is the perfect size boat - small enough to handle,
but big enough for that big boat feel and controllability.

Comment on the dutchman - I too had the same experiences with it as
you have had.  I could use it on my own, but my racing crew was
perplexed for some reason.  However with all the new racing sails we
dropped it completely for maximum performance.  Plus to be honest it
is very easy to raise and lower the sail without it.  When lowering I
either drop the sail slowly with my crew and they do the dirty work,
or when single handed I lower it myself and flake it.    Never had the
need for precise reefing, and only very occasionally reefed the main;
I have only used the second reef one time in 12 years.  That will
likely change when the boat is moved to California where there is a
lot of wind it appears in the bay area.  But it is no problem running
a single reef with a jib.

When I get back to Michigan in two weeks I will dig up the details on
the electrical system for you.  This is a must for cruisers and racers
alike.

Best Regards,
Andrew Santangelo
#333   C320 Dawn Treader