[C320-list] Steering Cable

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Tue Oct 14 16:49:10 PDT 2008

Ken, did it snap close to the compass?  On my first Catalina 28, the cable
snapped next to where the cable turns to chain.  As a precaution on our next
Catalina, Catalina 32 #812, I asked a shipwright to check the cable after 6
months at the same place.  It was nearly a quarter worn through.  The
shipwright lengthened the chain.  You can't check this with normal
inspection.  You have to remove the compass.

I haven't bothered checking this on our current Catalina 32 #1073 as the
steering wheel won't turn as far in either direction as on #812 so I think
the problem is less likely to arise.  Also we have a below deck autopilot
(Coursemaster) so if the cable were to break I can still steer with the
autopilot.  I think the emergency tiller on the C32 is very awkward and I
don't envy you your experience.

Annie Bennett
Topcat