[C320-list] Mainsail Hard to Raise/Lower...update

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sun Oct 26 14:12:32 PDT 2008

All:

I just got back from the boat.  I removed the mainsail and attached a
messenger halyard to the swivel for testing purposes.  I've confirmed
that the swivel binds as it passes through the lower spreaders.
Bummer.  Now, I've got to contact Charleston Spars, and my insurance
carrier (BoatUS).  I'd contact Catalina as well, but it's a model year
2002, well out of warranty.  As such, I don't see where Catalina bears
any responsibility, but am exceedingly interested in what Charleston
might have to say.

My preference would be to replace it without roller furling of any
kind, for sailing performance and simplicity reasons.  Second choice
would be boom furling, third, mast furling.  Since my mainsail was
likely cut/designed with in mast furling in mind, (and I doubt my
insurance carrier would replace the main on my whims), it looks like
another in mast furler.  It remains to be seen whether it's replaced
with another Charleston spar, or some other manufacturer.  My
insurance carrier could also tell me to get lost.  Sigh.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906