[C320-list] Edson pedestal throttle problem

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Tue Sep 30 09:19:13 PDT 2008

When I started Surprise's engine yesterday I noticed that she was idling
rather fast.  When I tried moving the throttle lever it was stiffer than
usual and the motion was rough and jerky as if something was hanging up.
When I opened the engine cover it was clear that the throttle cable was
not pushing the throttle lever on the engine all the way to its idle stop,
explaining why the idle was fast.  (I was able to pull the lever on the
engine to the full idle position manually, so the problem is definitely in
the linkage, and not the engine itself.)  All connections at the engine
end were tight so I assume that nothing slipped there.  Back on deck I
disassembled the binnacle only to find that the push rod connecting to the
throttle lever connects to something deep below the throttle lever itself.
 This connection is not visible from above.
I removed the cover from the steering pedestal mounting in the aft cabin
and determined that the transition from throttle lever to red-jacketed
push-pull cable is above decks, in the pedestal itself.  Does anyone know
how I get access to that end of the cable?  Short of disassembling the
entire steering system and binnacle/pedestal I hope.

Is there a blow up diagram of the pedestal somewhere that might help me
figure out what is going on?  Does anyone know the specific model number
used by Catalina on a 1999 C320?

I'm guessing that the mounting of the cable inside the pedestal has
vibrated loose.  (Probably because of all the vibration I've been getting
from my Gori two-blade folding prop, but that's another story.)

Also, my recollection is that there was a thread on this list a few years
ago about problems with the bolts securing the top of the binnacle siezing
in the aluminum.  I have that problem with one of the bolts.  My
recollection there was a fix involving replacement bolts of another
material available from Edson, and this has been on my mental "to do" list
for the last few years.  Does anyone have the specifics?

Finally, the clamp ring on my compass would not tighten when I reinstalled
it.  I think the threads are stripped on the little brass square that the
bolt tightens into.  So I will need some replacement parts for this as
well.  Does anyone know the model number for the compass?  I forgot to
write this down when I had it apart.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653