[C320-list] Exhaust elbow

David Marecek David.Marecek at ca.fujitsu.com
Wed Aug 19 16:02:18 PDT 2009

I have a 2004 Yanmar engine. The recommended replacement is 2 years for
replacement on the exhaust elbow.

I took the exhaust elbow off last year at 1400 hours due to an
overheating problem ( 20 minutes work) and cleaned it out, as it was
plugged , especially the vented loop fitting.

Cleaning was running a dremmel tool with flex coupling and wire brush
through the elbow .

However after cleaning, I had the Yanmar service rep check it and he
thought it was getting thin re metal on the elbow and should be
replaced. Since it is exhaust I coughed up the money as a safety
precaution.

You also need to examine any fittings or attachment points as these also
carbon up

It appears level of carbon is dependent on how you operate your diesel
and number of running hours.  If you baby it and keep low revs you will
have lots of carbon. If you operate at 90% power and occasionally 100%
power, less carbon build up

Dave Marecek
250 516 5117