[C320-list] Lights, binacle, props and batteries

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 31 14:51:43 PDT 2009

Brad:

I am in my second year with a Kiwi prop and I DO like it.  I was drawn to it
by its relative simplicity and lower cost. It is a DYI install. I did not do
the install completely correctly and needed to pull the prop and reinstall
it. This proved more difficult and required two sets of hands as the 55 year
old puller I was using did not have arms which worked well with the rounded
boss edge of the new prop (not an issue with the old one).

When the wind is up there is no advantage over the fixed three-blade it
replaced. In light air I cannot be certain that it is greatly faster, but I
certainly accelerate more quickly out of a tack than with the fixed prop.
The prop does feather, as the shaft no longer turns when sailing in neutral.

Walk the list for prop information. I am no expert and there are other makes
of folding and feathering props which are also highly rated here by their
owners. Not having used other models I cannot speak to their advantages.
Other brands may be better.

It is not maintenance free; requiring a yearly greasing.

Brian Amirault

797 waltzing Bear, too